Press Release for Friday Anniversary Celebration in Seattle
Please distribute widely.
Narco News to hold 8th Anniversary Benefit Party to support The Fund for Authentic Journalism this Friday, April 25th, 2008 from 6 – 9PM at Waid's Haitian Lounge, 1212 Jefferson Street in Seattle, Washington.
For reservations: http://www.authenticjournalism.org
The text of the press release appears below the jump, plus a downloadable copy you can print out.
April 20, 2008
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Narco News to hold 8th Anniversary Benefit Party to support The Fund for Authentic Journalism this Friday, April 25th, 2008 from 6 – 9PM in Seattle, the city that showed the world in 1999 that "globalization" can't be dictated from above, but that democracy requires that the people from below decide.
Seattle, Wash. – In an era when the commercial media doesn't inform well, often distorts the news, and both the population of the United States and Latin America are kept in the dark about US policy in Latin America and vise versa, Narco News, day after day, acts as the irrefutable filter for the Truth without charging readers and viewers a cent and without accepting paid advertising. How? Support for The Fund for Authentic Journalism.
Please join us for an evening to support The Fund for Authentic Journalism:
Date: Friday, April 25th, 2008
Where: Waid’s Haitian Cuisine & Lounge (near the Seattle University campus), Seattle, Washington
Doors Open: 6PM (hosted appetizers & cash bar)
Presentation: 7PM (promptly)
Donation: $10 or Students w/ID $5, Press Welcome
Sponsorship: Starting at $50, Contact Al Giordano at firstname.lastname@example.org
Reserve your tickets online at:
Host Speaker: Al Giordano, journalist, founder and publisher of Narco News
• Ron Smith, Documentary Filmmaker; Professor, Narco News School of Authentic Journalism
• Amber Howard, Journalist, Graduate of Narco News School of Authentic Journalism
• Laura Carlsen, Journalist, Director, Americas Project
• Wendy Pantoja, Yucatán Mexico, activist and adherent of the Zapatista Other Campaign
All Other Inquiries: Contact Event Manager: JJ Jankauskas
WHAT IS Narco News:
• The first Internet newspaper to win First Amendment protections (in a landmark decision by the New York Supreme Court), Narco News has set the gold standard for responsible and cutting-edge online journalism, on the side of the people against the corporate interests.
• The Narco News School of Authentic Journalism, which has intensely trained more than 100 journalists throughout the hemisphere. Narco News is supported by The Fund for Authentic Journalism (a 501c3 tax exempt organization), and this event supports this Fund.
• A globally read online newspaper that breaks the information blockade on social movements south of the border and investigates the drug war from an anti-prohibitionist perspective. It publishes hundreds of original reports each year, and hundreds of translations of those reports in English, Spanish and five other languages (Portuguese, Italian, French, German and Dutch).
• Hard-hitting investigative journalists reporting intensively from: Mexico (including on the Zapatista political movement and the Oaxaca rebellion), Venezuela (where it is widely credited with blowing the whistle on the 2002 attempted coup d'etat), Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia and the US-Mexico border, among other conflict zones.
*Distribution of this Press Release is encouraged and appreciated.*